Funding for Care

Funding for Care

 “How can I afford to cover the costs of my care if needed” is the question most often asked. 

Types of Care

There are many different types of care options ranging  from Domiciliary Care where the carer(s) visit the clients property and carry out a range of domestic tasks to Residential Care (Living in a  Care / Nursing Home), Live In Care, (A carer lives with the client 24hrs a day), Critical Health Care (For more severe health issues) & Palliative Care (End of Life Care). Funding availability may vary dependent of the type of care required. 

Where can I apply for funding?

Although the State, via your Local Authority / Social Services will often provide some or all of the funds, this is means tested - e.g. if you have assets and income in excess of the current figure of £23,250 you may well have to pay for your own long term care. But this is not always a clear cut decision and if you are looking at getting care for a relative or friend you should contact your local Social Services and ask them about a Care Needs Assessment for the person requiring care and an  assessment for you if you are currently caring for the person. A person’s right to an Assessment depends on their needs rather than their finances. 

State Funding

If you are successful in obtaining funding for your  care, Social Services will pay a care provider or care home direct for  the agreed level of care that has been assessed. Unless you specify  which company you want to undertake the care, then Social Services will  select a local care provider on your behalf. So you would be well  advised to do some research on local care providers to help you decide  which care company you would like. 

Direct Payments

If as an outcome of the Care Needs Assessment you are  offered funding by your local Social Services, you can ask for the funding to be paid direct to you or the person requiring the care. Once the funding figure has been agreed the funds will be transferred to you every month and you are free (within certain parameters) to select your own care provider or care service. 

Private Funding

If the person requiring the care is unable to get  funding, you deal directly with your chosen care provider and pay them on receipt of an invoice. 

Get Advice

Due to the complexity of  social care funding, benefits, allowances etc. you should firstly seek advice as to what you may or may not be able to claim prior to committing to any course of action. Contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau who will be able to help you with your questions and can provide  you with valuable information on what you may/may not be able to claim. We at Chapter Care will be happy to answer any questions you may have and we will always give impartial advice and information. Contact us on 01271 378842